Thursday, January 27, 2005

"Look at how many of us there are!", said my father-in-law.

As I visited my in-laws on the post-election weekend, I found my father-in-law watching his favorite news network - Fox. He had a content half-smile on his face that reflected the wisdom of having the more traditional and more popular opinions. Unlike Fox’s commentators, he didn’t gloat visibly; perhaps out of sympathy for us, the losers. At some point however, he pointed to the TV, and exclaimed, “Look at how many of us there are!” I put aside a shot-glass of tsuika (Romanian plum brandy, my poison of choice that happened to second as an analgesic at the moment), and saw a predominantly red map of the U.S. with a few blue border and costal states. “Could that be right?” I thought. Technically, it was right. But as the saying goes, “The devil is in the details.” And luckily, these details have been eloquently and laconically described by Amba of the “AmbivaBlog” (I highly recommend it) at:

http://ambivablog.typepad.com

And if you’d rather go straight to the horse’s mouth, here’s the link to the maps and cartograms showing how the votes were really distributed (definitely worth a look):

http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Emejn/election/


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh,how well I know those "dedicated" Eastern-European
Republicans...........
Flooshly starring at the dogma oozing out of their T.V.
screens,as if waiting with bated breath for the "BIG GUYS" at FOX to send a secret call:"come join us,fellow brothers and sisters,let us rule with our might,and not that useless organ called THE BRAIN."
Your commentary made me smile,dear objectivist.I empathize,sympathize......and yes,even share your concern.But hey,this is AMERICA,the land where every brainless fool can,and does have an oppinion.Indeed,the LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES!!